5 Surprising Facts about Strawberries
1. Strawberries are high in vitamin C and fiber.
Vitamin C is important for growing and repairing tissue as well as wound healing, while fiber is used by the body for digestion.
2. There are about 200 seeds on the outside of the average strawberry.
Because strawberries have seeds on the outside, plant scientists do not consider strawberries to be real berries. Berries, like blue berries and raspberries, have their seeds on the inside.
3. Strawberries belong to the rose family.
A strawberry plant has a nice fragrant smell just like strawberries.
4. Every state in the U.S. grows strawberries.
However, California alone produces 75% of the strawberry crops used in the United States. Prince William County Public Schools (PWCS) serves local, Virginia strawberries whenever available!
5. Over half of a strawberry plant’s roots are found in the top three inches of soil.
The plant’s roots stay close to the top so they can spread out above the soil and form more plants.
You can find fresh strawberries in PWCS cafeterias all year long. Come join us for lunch and try some!